[Bell Historians] H & T Jones 46 Duke Street Liverpool

Bryan McCahey b.mccahey at hMYqCi48xiSwhcZ09b3Q9m2v-MDYO64OjaO4CBTOfguV6SMnYg_EtAkLBkvPOMcpdikxeycHKFQpOQ.yahoo.invalid
Mon Apr 11 20:47:11 BST 2011

In the interests of historical accuracy, I was being fairly speculative about
St. John the Divine, Fairfield; it's just that the dates matched and I knew that
the Fairfield bell had been sold! Permission to climb the tower was refused when
I asked in 1997. There had been a lot of talk of the spire being unsafe and it
narrowly escaped demolition a few years ago. The then churchwarden said that the
"bell's housing" was still in place. See http://fairfieldspire.co.uk/#

Bryan McCahey

________________________________
From: Chris Pickford <c.j.pickford.t21 at 5JbCzgLr0wedwuk_ufG4nI4xntcUJ41xyFKJOVtjpwm-4ycMdPXyZddvqzFgBKkp8OGtBbspQtxH5F2h7jEEZrJFgjBUhg.yahoo.invalid>
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Sent: Mon, April 11, 2011 7:01:08 AM
Subject: Re: [Bell Historians] H & T Jones 46 Duke Street Liverpool

Have been following this one for a  bit:

Bell owned by  Oswestry dealer inscribed waist (Royal Arms) / E  & T JONES / 46
DUKE STREET / LIVERPOOL Soundbow: 1853 (full inscription not  visible from
photo). Diameter 17”. Peg argent cut off. (Ex.inf.David Kelly, 13 January 2010)

E. &  T. Jones, brassfounders, 46 Duke Street  listed in 1855 Directory (web
search); There is only one Jones listed as a  brassfounder and that is Edward
Jones & Co of 46 Duke Street, Liverpool.  This entry is in the Directory for
1851 and 1855 - we don’t have an 1853 copy  (Ex.inf.Liverpool Record Office)

Same bell  later appeared on eBay in ownership of Cannock dealer (UK
Architectural Antiques  Ltd) priced at £1800. Photos show inscription exactly as
above. Diameter 17”,  weight 55kg (1-0-9¼) (eBay, August 2010)

Bryan McCahey thinks it could possibly have  come from St. John the Divine,
Fairfield ,   Liverpool was built 1851-53. The framing  survives, but the bell
was apparently sold in  1980

CP