[Bell Historians] G&J

Roderic Bickerton rodbic at rdFBY91RCYy-iyPQuMCnnwE0HHJT3qWDuMUkzcTlM_wmS55KucJBousYCDmEGvuASgbDZi98xHw0WDc.yahoo.invalid
Wed Apr 20 15:18:51 BST 2011

Watford had these on the back bells, before my time. They were removed as there was to much hum.
The tenor has a horrible clapper set up which without the toggles and an SG high CG clapper, sounds dreadful, all crashy, when the bell is more than 80% up.
its likely the arrangement was designed with more clapper energy than normal, as it would avoid the consequences of heavy clappering.
How do other bells perform after the mechanism is removed?
Do they suffer heavy crashy clapper performance?
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Andrew Aspland
  To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Wednesday, April 20, 2011 1:05 PM
  Subject: Re: [Bell Historians] G&J

  “But around the time of strike, I would expect a free mass to move outwards
  under centrifugal force, rather than downwards under gravity. “

  Which I believe is what happens.  The toggle is thrown outwards by centrifugal force as the bell rotates – this allows the clapper to strike the bell.  The clapper bounces but by now the bell has slowed down and is nearer the vertical.  The toggle drops down and as the clapper tries to return to the bell it is prevented by the toggle – thus allowing the bell to hum.  I have some of the bits at the back of my garage – it seemed unnecessary to drag another few pounds of metal through a peal so I removed the defunct mechanism!
  Andrew