Moulding wires - pattern encoding

George Dawson george at m8KxIjvkzOGE1tR9S4WZevwrdHBmlZgXuu48RU1tFB62rE0cuG-MinEY39-ctxBLHp8Zd-mSCFJhygGzAY0Ka40jKu5sgg.yahoo.invalid
Tue Jan 18 08:44:29 GMT 2011

Slight errors here. The use of a - is to indicate where the inscription band
is. The 5 places indicated by Richard are correct, but he should have
written:

3,2-2,3,2.  not 3,2-2,3-2.
There are further modifications to indicate the use of broad bands and large
raised wires as found on medieval bells, but I will not bore the audience.

George

From: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com [mailto:bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com]
On Behalf Of Carl Scott Zimmerman
Sent: 17 January 2011 22:15
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Bell Historians] Moulding wires - pattern encoding

Thanks, Richard.

This descriptive method seems to need place holders for instances
where no moulding wires are present. Thus bells made during the last
30+ years of the Henry Stuckstede Bell Foundry Co. might be described
as 0,0,1-0. Or would 0,,1-0 suffice?

Does this method apply to all (or most) British-made bells of the
past century or two? I ask because it would not apply to the work of
several 19th-c. American bellfounders, for various reasons other than
a total absence of moulding wires. (Sorry, I don't have any
illustrations online yet.)

Carl

_____

_____