Re: [Bell Historians] Bell at St Mary Magdalene, Taunton

Dickon Love dickon at wHskTzhv_0q3D_yeyJN6RZpH3QnYA1eaSYTu4Oa9QoXBJG1_FSDEbVmDqQOdHOqjMQyp9xZUiDukE511.yahoo.invalid
Mon Jul 11 10:59:19 BST 2011

Laura:
>  I've been reading a will dated 1503 which leave to the church of St Mary Magdalene, Taunton 'a bell of silv(er)... worought and sett my name and myn husbande' and I'm wondering if this bell still survives and if I can track it down. Wikipedia links to a page called "The Bells of St Mary Magdalene, Taunton, Somerset" on your website but the site seems to be down. I wondered if there's any way I can access the information that was on that page, or if you had any other suggestions?

I suspect that this refers to a small table or sanctuary bell - certainly not any of the church bells in the tower, which would be made of bell metal.  Whether this silver bell still exists in St Mary's treasury is something this list is unlikely to know - although if David Bryant is reading, he is best placed to know.  The other place that might be worth checking is the treasury of Wells Cathedral (being the Diocesan Cathedral) which is where such an item is likely to be stored.

DrL