[Bell Historians] Corley Church [2 Attachments]

Philip Denton philip_denton at DE0JsxKs9HG_N3TkyqM0KTFxkV_eZXM0gzwMeFMoBVAacvs2kb6vrfz3noRC-53Ryme_Y8vLyv0mD9u_U1KLmHI.yahoo.invalid
Wed Jun 8 22:55:17 BST 2011

Mike Chester  wrote:

Is the carving in the photograph a "Green Man"? If not, what does it show?

Can anyone tell me what might be going on with the arches in the photograph?
Why is the small upper one not immediately above the pillar?

I agree with Ted, concerning the photo of the arcade with the window above. This looks like a case of a late Norman arcade (late C12) cut into an earlier Norman external wall (early C12), when the aisle was added. The former window probably would have been blocked up, and has been subsequently uncovered as a curiosity.

Philip