[Bell Historians] St Peter's, Wisbech

Chris Pickford c.j.pickford.t21 at AwdYKfkxIs86-JaipQCGam9xqvvcp09znKg7aNC7zdIw9LuK1tZLF2u6jNajv6plzTEMxLragG7SdQ7f43DgN6yzu8L987aiEA.yahoo.invalid
Fri Jun 17 22:35:35 BST 2011

Faulty memory, I'm afraid. The 1990 article is "Hurry to Wisbech, for an altercation with Soham: a story of criticisms and challenges following the opening of William Dobson's ring of ten bells at Wisbech in 1823, culled from the pages of The Norfolk Chronicle" by David Cubitt, in Ringing World 13 April 1990 pp.370-2. It's very interesting, but doesn't include details of the old bells as I had thought.

There is, though, in the Wratten collection a press report showing that the bells were augmented to eight in 1749/50 (and from information in the tower we know that the tenor was 15 cwt): On Friday January the 26th 1749-50 was Rung at WISBECH ST. PETER's, in the Isle of ELY in the County of CAMBRIDGE, on a new Peal of Eight Bells, a compleat peal of 5040 of Garthen's Trebles. At the first pulling down it was compleated in two Hours and 49 Minutes, by Us whose Names are under-written: Treble, Thomas Thompson, Second, John Harrison, Third, Joseph Raven, Fourth, John Parkinson, Fifth, William Harrison, Sixth, John Wright, Seventh, Simon Hall, Tenor, John Bingham. N.B. The bobbs call'd by John Parkinson (Ipswich Journal, Sat. 3 Feb. 1749-50; Wratten collection)

There are brief details (as the VCH) in Raven and Bevis, as you know.

CP