Deadrope Ringing

Brian Meldon CanewdonBells at GnwSC1uQGh_mc24hcGOgBIGRT0rgjA5J33BrTG-P4yfP_uspXtTCZHfAtO53jkUYgVq8t5k0guhzJucKGaHZLiaSwnOj.yahoo.invalid
Tue May 10 12:17:30 BST 2011

Chris Pickford mentioned in his last post that the 12 o'clock garter holes at Canewdon were for `deadrope ringing'.

This is the first time I have come across this
term and I would like to know more information, like how the bells would have been rung, where pulleys would be positioned and the arrangement at the lower end of the rope. Several of the surviving bell rope invoices here as well as giving details of the weight or the length of the ropes also state that they had `woostead sallys'. So clearly a sally was still needed.

Brian Meldon