[Bell Historians] Latin Inscription

HENRY TAYSOM H.Taysom at ousWCH3Dlx6SrWAbD8N-CdD4-6l49KR6YgHrgnSlsxe5nVOpqSd6DKApBpN_a0Vfc34Vyx1dPmm2JNsm8fin7eY.yahoo.invalid
Tue May 10 00:03:45 BST 2011

The story of my life

--- On Mon, 9/5/11, John Camp <camp at T2g5nH497QsO3egsejTJwbV_MZX_bIwOO1Z2VzgyjD1sxqAyE1XPF-8QtvpG7SHJtajR_7WTQJQ1xQ.yahoo.invalid> wrote:

From: John Camp <camp at T2g5nH497QsO3egsejTJwbV_MZX_bIwOO1Z2VzgyjD1sxqAyE1XPF-8QtvpG7SHJtajR_7WTQJQ1xQ.yahoo.invalid>
Subject: Re: [Bell Historians] Latin Inscription
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Date: Monday, 9 May, 2011, 21:22

      At 13:19 on 08 May 2011, Philip Denton wrote:

> I would be interested to discover the earliest known uses of the Latin inscription

> INTACTUM SILEO PERCUTE DUCE CANO

> (which translates approximately as "Untouched I am silent, when struck

> I sweetly sing.")

Very approximately.

"Duce" should be "dulce", as has been pointed out.

I am not at all clear about "percute".  It appears to be an imperative.

One might expect an object, such as "me", somewhere, as it is a

transitive verb.  ("Strike me and I sing sweetly".) Alternatively,

"percussum" would translate more accurately as "when struck".

Probably just lousy mediaeval Latin.

John Camp