Re: [Bell Historians] Dove's Guide of 1800 (was Peals on Six Bells)

Dickon Love dickon at a-1G4Pbq2-P6PBzzzxHmWX-hs3gTP6mjaINF0kRw382JbDakr-KvUsRO8LmFIOe5tbamg0TF81xVbBMI.yahoo.invalid
Wed Nov 2 14:16:02 GMT 2011

>  Isn't it true that all your lovesguide sites include timelines so that this
>  data can be extracted
>  with ease ?
>
>  David

The Lovesguide you see on the web is actually all flat file driven, but I do have everything on a database which I wrote some years ago (and constantly tweak and develop).  There is probably twice as much stuff on the database than has reached the website.  It is true that I record timelines, but not in a way that would answer this sort of question.  Instead I have another feature on it that states at what point bells went from one number to another - and that IS searchable.  In many cases, it is not known when an augmentation has taken place, so I wrote in a feature to recognise that too.

There is scope to develop this further - it is not too difficult - and then testing this.

In addition, I have created a document that plots the rings of the bells in the City of London, including numbers of bells, weights, when recasts happened - all in the form of a long timeline.  This is more of a visual thing rather than a database searchable thing.  Once I am happy with it, I might stick it on the wall in some tower in the City of London or something as a bit of a mural.

DrL