Unauthorised removal of bell from the Duke's Theatre (formerly St Anne's Church), Lancaster

Peter Rivet peter at Q_v3bOxfCudBV0LWK5r_Q5yRn7gGSDJXL_EL8qQtasMSunGdwfc6D-z3yk3kRxeezOMll-GixxtfHyotBiKw.yahoo.invalid
Fri Nov 25 11:07:48 GMT 2011

I have to report another case of a stolen bell.  It was hung in the bellcote
on the end of the Duke's Theatre in Lancaster, which was originally St
Anne's church.  It was built in 1796 and closed as a church in 1957.
According to the theatre management it disappeared a couple of weeks ago;
somebody had climbed over the roof in order to get it.  There's a photo here
which shows the bellcote, but I haven't so far been able to find one with a
view of the bell:

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/495805

I have no details of the dimensions or any inscriptions, but as can be seen
it was quite a small one.  What we do know is that it was transferred to St
Anne's in 1853 from Lancaster St Thomas church, which had just acquired a
new tower and a ring of six Warner bells to go with it.  So it probably
dates from the building of St Thomas church in 1841.

It's a long shot, but if anyone is offered a small bell dated c. 1841 from
north west England that could be where it's come from.

Peter Rivet