[Bell Historians] Re: Historical differences between long-standing bell foundries?

Richard Offen richard.offen at Rvieqmfp61YAdqmE_L0PAKaepuny7AOUQnmVAXu4E4MFZ2IUhUlelCSu11ZvQqYd-g8fQg9Uu0xFvzHfPITMFbkTVQcX.yahoo.invalid
Fri Apr 27 16:43:06 BST 2012

The Southwark bell was not cast using traditional methods or at a bellfoundry.

Richard

Sent from my iPhone

I thought that was the whole point of this string of postings!

I suspect that it might be that case that the marginal cost of producing an individual bell would be less, perhaps significantly so. However, the output of bells these days is so low that the fixed cost component would make the scheme uneconomic. To put it another way, production levels might not be high enough to justify the cost of changing to a more modern way of casting.

The picture, middle top, on http://www.southwark-bells.org.uk/sharp2.html does suggest that inscriptions in this method are not quite up to the crispness of the old method.

Mike