Counties

Tim Jackson Tim at Y5A9CSfAoY6Y5nCZT3UsC1cdODiL96O2B02Mh2a66WzAfNVqJLC-ndLyncyMzoPVWw84c4ePrIUMUJkRjhqHEJwRgFhFRoD3.yahoo.invalid
Sun Aug 5 18:02:19 BST 2012

Someone expressed concern on this list the other week that there might be
"something wrong" with the counties used in Dove.  Well, I've checked and
I'm pleased to say that we appear to comply with the criteria that we state
on D10 pxii and also on the Dove website
(http://dove.cccbr.org.uk/CountiesRev.php).  This is obviously a relief to
us so soon after going to print, although we would still like to learn of
any individual towers that appear to be incorrectly allocated.

TowerBase provides all three "county" types for each tower: traditional;
ceremonial; and local government (both the current situation and the
obsolete set that came into effect on 1st April 1974).  The Felstead peal
database uses the traditional county allocations from TowerBase.  Although I
have been aware for some time that I needed to do further work on the
allocations to traditional counties, it is only the recent availability of
the boundaries in digital form from the Historic County Borders project
(http://www.county-borders.co.uk/) coupled with the work of Anne Sladen to
ensure the pinpoint accuracy of tower locations in Dove that has spurred me
into action.

The attached list contains the 54 corrections that I have identified to
date.  I have cross-checked each of these against the Association of British
Counties gazetteer (http://www.gazetteer.co.uk/); the Phillimore Atlas and
Index of Parish Registers (ISBN 978-1-86077-239-9); and the County Maps of
Old England (ISBN 1-85170-403-5).

I will need to make further changes as the Historic County Borders project
progresses; so far the published boundaries only cover England and Wales and
do not yet address "detached parts".

Tim