[Bell Historians] Counties

RJ Johnston, Geographical Sciences R.Johnston at 4oRlCQjqUVQBBffKf-lhgJRTatGIrmP3-zsWUMkiFo4ifZiRegC8aY40V17W_rrti8v0nYOP7OSrnmUkG_HKIOwORw.yahoo.invalid
Mon Aug 6 09:19:02 BST 2012

Good to know we're consistent!

Which way do the arrows run in your table?

--On 05 August 2012 18:02 +0100 Tim Jackson
<Tim at 8kqTGNzdEtgbIwLay-ysa_HVMelJWkjadW_7DOvCoCaCqdcw-h2Am4Zn3giR4NGYyjzCC4Txrl-LlqII1klghAZFNsC1znD7MV2CNg.yahoo.invalid> wrote:

> Someone expressed concern on this list the other week that there might be
> "something wrong" with the counties used in Dove. Well, I've checked and
> I'm pleased to say that we appear to comply with the criteria that we
> state
> on D10 pxii and also on the Dove website
> (http://dove.cccbr.org.uk/CountiesRev.php). This is obviously a relief to
> us so soon after going to print, although we would still like to learn of
> any individual towers that appear to be incorrectly allocated.
>
> TowerBase provides all three "county" types for each tower: traditional;
> ceremonial; and local government (both the current situation and the
> obsolete set that came into effect on 1st April 1974). The Felstead peal
> database uses the traditional county allocations from TowerBase. Although
> have been aware for some time that I needed to do further work on the
> allocations to traditional counties, it is only the recent availability of
> the boundaries in digital form from the Historic County Borders project
> (http://www.county-borders.co.uk/) coupled with the work of Anne Sladen to
> ensure the pinpoint accuracy of tower locations in Dove that has spurred
> me
> into action.
>
> The attached list contains the 54 corrections that I have identified to
> date. I have cross-checked each of these against the Association of
> British
> Counties gazetteer (http://www.gazetteer.co.uk/); the Phillimore Atlas and
> Index of Parish Registers (ISBN 978-1-86077-239-9); and the County Maps of
> Old England (ISBN 1-85170-403-5).
>
> I will need to make further changes as the Historic County Borders project
> progresses; so far the published boundaries only cover England and Wales
> and
> do not yet address "detached parts".
>
> Tim

Prof Ron Johnston OBE FBA
School of Geographical Sciences
University of Bristol
Bristol BS8 1SS, UK
+44 (0)117 928 9116
R.Johnston at 8KN6bjvZ2WtGA2sd-Dtkkyggoaylw7bSez01iJgrM-ZpAp4G_tffDz87VgnuKOjmY8BWVnP8q9On2zkvoCIn.yahoo.invalid
http://www.ggy.bris.ac.uk/staff/staff_johnston.html
http://scholar.google.co.uk/citations?user=QQoOCYsAAAAJ&hl=en