[Bell Historians] Re: Oldest Christian Bell

John Camp camp at QMH9S7ZuoEZeZFYSTZeOz7M5riK1dZJXr-p1A78g6HXp0iV_YENVvQEQR6BpudrsfZ7j7OH3dMdXydBjE9c.yahoo.invalid
Mon Aug 13 18:02:58 BST 2012

At 17:36 on 13 August 2012, Richard Smith wrote:
> For example, in AD 750 when Egbert, Archbishop of York, directed
> priests to ring their church bells at appropriate times, the word he
> uses is 'signa'.  It seems likely it means a bell, rather than a
> cymbal or gong ...

Possibly.  But RAS's argument* is circular.  It goes like this: Egbert
directed his priests to ring their church bells.  How do we know?
Because he used the word "signa".  Therefore "signa" means church bells.

A genuine example of question-begging.

John Camp

*at least as stated.  There may be other reasons for thinking that
church bells were being referred to.