[Bell Historians] Re: Olympic Bell

Andrew Higson andrew.higson at Ynz6xPDHrApLk4Rp2V9AC5IKdckV9cUR83tqWz23OpYXCmuSQLu7T08ZrxvwKDq1LlnnQajZMo5QJEANmN99bs7NN-UUtHc.yahoo.invalid
Thu Feb 9 13:48:31 GMT 2012

At 13:14 09/02/2012, DrL wrote:

>Of course, the overall sound also depends on whether it is struck
>dead, or hung for some sort of swinging.

I wonder if linear induction motors could be used to swing a bell of this size?

RAL
Theoretically, yes of course, but it would probably make all the lights in the stadium go out  - the current required to get even moderate sized bells going is quite significant.

Andrew (being careful to bottom post!)