[Bell Historians] Moseley St Mary - Steel Bells

khsbelring at jy1fGCuXvtDzjfSWa6tyfr3vrSaGFnlfjXeI2L6x5FtL7KLh8zmB6DpijY3-CXItYqlq3VSpk4hWpAqC.yahoo.invalid khsbelring at jy1fGCuXvtDzjfSWa6tyfr3vrSaGFnlfjXeI2L6x5FtL7KLh8zmB6DpijY3-CXItYqlq3VSpk4hWpAqC.yahoo.invalid
Mon Jan 9 11:54:13 GMT 2012

>From New Zealand I would like to make the following points

Sowerby bells at Beamish Museum in Durham -  last time I asked to see them I was informed that they were not available as they were in a building that was totally closed due to asbestos.
The bells were offered to Beamish from a scrapyard and Beamish were invited to collect the five bells. At collection three bells were found inside the largest three bells.

Willington in County Durham are perfectly ringable after major work done by David Town and since that work have been pealed twice.

Someone mentioned Stainland bells - I understood that they were in the open at a deer park somewhere although not confirmed.

Now lets come to the point. All the churches that ever had steel bells purchased them as part of the act of divine worship and wether individual ringers think that steel bells are disgusting  ( or not ) is not relevant.

So those Churches purchased steel bells that were cheaper than the standard bell metal equivalent may have regretted their decision.  Cambridge in New Zealand sent the first six that were delivered back to England to be exchanged for six in tune !!

Also as I understand it a lot of steel bell installations were squeezed into towers that were probably unsuited to the weight of bells, but that was probably a selling point as Churches were buying bigger bells for less money.

So lets not knock steel bells too much - If I asked  for a list of out of tune bells from all over the world lots of ringers would nominate certain towers but as most ringers have probably not rung on steel bells they would mostly be standard bell metal.
The unfortunate thing is that for those towers nominated it would cause a lot of offence to those that rang them and the parishioners

regards Howard E. J. Smith - Newcastle Cathedral