[Bell Historians] Moseley St Mary - Steel Bells

Peter Rivet peter at JsgmHejQ5KLAMg2S08F0YXRSqPvGqmvALRRWRx9MEqND-YEh5Be8zqb_SM-qyHljf7puF1856AFUDAYGLoM.yahoo.invalid
Sun Jan 8 19:13:39 GMT 2012

Point taken...  but since when has Sheffield had a shipyard????  Naylor
Vickers had a steelworks.

So far as listing is concerned, so long as St Mary's remains in use as a
church it's covered by ecclesiastical exemption.  So what happens to the
bells is up to the Birmingham Anglican Diocese, not Birmingham City Council.

Peter

  -----Original Message-----
  From: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
[mailto:bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com]On Behalf Of Kevin Jones
  Sent: 08 January 2012 18:31
  To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
  Subject: RE: [Bell Historians] Moseley St Mary - Steel Bells

  This is what i Said,

  If Moseley Bells are Scrapped we will loose a piece of industrial
heritage,
  I know the bells sound like buckets, but that is there appeal & charm to
hear how bad they are.
  It is like watching a terrible TV programme, you may hate the film but you
still watch it.

  If These bells are Scrapped & not saved by for example The Black Country
Museum,
  We will loose the Historic Eight Steel Bells cast at the Shipyard of
Naylor Vickers & Co.

  The only other are the set of eight steel bells at Lancaster U.S.A. hung
dead except the tenor,
  They are rung by a chimestand keyboard, Cast by Naylor Vickers & Co in
1860,
  with a Flat 7th cast by Lester & Pack in 1768, The Tenor is Hung for
Ringing,

  Is there a preservation order on the bells?
  like in a listed building?

  Kev