[Bell Historians] Re: Great Gidding

Peter Rivet peter at aVhviz0T309Stq0DVuyD9Y_DdwMnpKhaEMjWsCffghpSykLnFVB7e5w5Q9yReE3-JaLWirNtkXbTH9A-.yahoo.invalid
Tue Jul 3 16:48:13 BST 2012

Maybe the sixth bell was a sanctus, or at least something unconnected with
the ring?  My experience of the Victoria County Histories is that although
its authors try very hard to be accurate they are not generally complied by
people with detailed knowledge of bells.  At Whittington in Lancashire they
get the dates of the bells rights but give them the wrong way round, so that
the tenor is recorded as the treble.

Peter Rivet

  -----Original Message-----
  From: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
[mailto:bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com]On Behalf Of Mike Chester
  Sent: 03 July 2012 15:37
  To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
  Subject: [Bell Historians] Re: Great Gidding

  I have found that most of what he says is lifted from:-

  http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=66144

  "There are five bells, inscribed: (1) T.C. [or T.G.] 1670. (2) Taylors
bellfounders Oxford 1839.(3) Taylor . s founder . s Oxford: 1839. (4) J.
Taylor & Co.: founders Loughborough 1873. (5) Conjugium partus mysteria
festa decoro anno Domini 1756. The first is by Tobias Norris III and the
fifth by Joseph Eayre. In 1709 there were six bells, (fn. 79) but by 1724
there were only five."

  Not sure if this helps or hinders!

  Mike