Olympic bell

Jim jameshedgcock at bCHPu0DmxnwPHIvWQznsdxMkbaWViIJbKFYZrtFkMTcZaY_k6nqR0ae-mmqcMjbBDHoU6tCi3JQk-eJjzO8UUA.yahoo.invalid
Wed Jul 25 22:37:35 BST 2012

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "fartwell2000" <alanjbirney at ...> wrote:

> > DrL
> >

> Sadly, Whitechapel don't have the capacity to cast such a bell-Taylors do and there must surely be other foundries who don't cast bells who have the required furnace capacity? Whitechapel quite clearly haven't explored all possible alternatives in the UK-remember, part of the request from LOCOG was a UK bell, which Whitechapel quite clearly could not supply by casting "in house".
>

> Alan

I believe that the Croydon Bell Foundry did not cast their big bells 'in house'. I believe that furnace capacity for such large castings is generally only readily available at marine establishments casting propellers.
Were the Croydon bells cast at a marine establishment?
Are there still U.K. marine establishments supplying ships propellers? I am informed that modern HMS are powered by thrusters>