Cleaning old bells

Carl Scott Zimmerman csz_stl at j_NRmAxXxqqPI-6_cvO3KKOwnkCZttPaD60hTcbADW1hLY9KCdWnyNe8R9ty4-tIjWcHML7H4UGV.yahoo.invalid
Tue May 1 02:01:46 BST 2012

Photos in RW articles about bell restoration projects almost always
show that the bellfounders and bellhangers respect the antiquity of
the bells.  New fittings are cheerfully bright with new paint, but
the patina of the bells is undisturbed.

Unfortunately, that respect for antiquity is not widespread in
America.  The major maintenance firms seem bent on persuading their
customers of the "need" for sandblasting or other harsh methods of
polishing to make old bells "look like new."  I find that practice
deplorable, and speak against it when I can, sometimes comparing it
to making one's grandmother get a facelift so that one doesn't have
to see her wrinkles any more.

But I'd like to have some more specific recommendations to make to
those who are considering renovation projects.  Hence this message,
with the following question:

What methods do English bellfounders and bellhangers use to clean
grease, bird droppings or other forms of dirt from old bells without
disturbing the patina significantly?

Thanks in advance,

Carl