[Bell Historians] Cleaning old bells

Paul Cubitt revp at hyuhV4HTsANDYYkIAyTSM_2VAGxVriYbkn1UP4DVJx7KjstmeuBTnOedhZhaUT2MRhexqakuHcwH_ghzH1Q.yahoo.invalid
Tue May 1 09:25:50 BST 2012

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Carl Scott Zimmerman
  To: Bell Historians List
  Sent: Tuesday, May 01, 2012 2:01 AM
  Subject: [Bell Historians] Cleaning old bells

  Photos in RW articles about bell restoration projects almost always
  show that the bellfounders and bellhangers respect the antiquity of
  the bells. New fittings are cheerfully bright with new paint, but
  the patina of the bells is undisturbed.

  Unfortunately, that respect for antiquity is not widespread in
  America. The major maintenance firms seem bent on persuading their
  customers of the "need" for sandblasting or other harsh methods of
  polishing to make old bells "look like new." I find that practice
  deplorable, and speak against it when I can, sometimes comparing it
  to making one's grandmother get a facelift so that one doesn't have
  to see her wrinkles any more.

  But I'd like to have some more specific recommendations to make to
  those who are considering renovation projects. Hence this message,
  with the following question:

  What methods do English bellfounders and bellhangers use to clean
  grease, bird droppings or other forms of dirt from old bells without
  disturbing the patina significantly?

  Thanks in advance,

  Carl

  Good question - I have to revisit the chime at Cringleford on the edge of Norwich to tighten the treble to the beam from which it is suspended. The 2nd is attributed to W Dawe  c1400 and is remarkably well preserved (hardly used in 600 years) but the inscription band is covered with bird muck making it impossible to read anything at all. I would like to give it a clean when next up.