[Bell Historians] toe loops

Peter Rivet peter at t8bty6Fn3o76TTp7tV2zsD5kKdJkHQhnYpHPikbpGNZCW-HZbuh8XjSQ1ivvtsYEooKZsXP2gTQY1HS_haKKag.yahoo.invalid
Wed May 9 15:40:40 BST 2012

How common were the toe straps one can see on the floor? I guess the
related question is how common was overpulling :-)
Thanks for any information.
Laura Dickerson

I have only ever seen one "toe strap" of the type shown.  I would be
inclined to call it a foot strap, as it was clearly intended to fit over a
shoe.  It was for the ringer of the tenor at Durham Cathedral, before the
bells were rehung and augmented from eight to ten in the 1980.   I think it
was probably removed then.

Presumably it was considered a useful accessory for the ringer of a heavy
bell, but I don't recall anyone using it.

Peter Rivet