[Bell Historians] toe loops

Andrew Wilby andrew at 7rj8oWobmAgP4P97bqUQ5Nx3__SvOmmPXiNEr4rJmkB679I2jPY9qDvLJ99glJH5QWNbzt1SMimaCB04dg.yahoo.invalid
Wed May 9 15:50:29 BST 2012

I do not recall seeing straps on the floor but they were very common on
boxes. They fell out of use some 40 or so years ago, were gradually
removed and have all but disappeared altogether now.
There is a reason for their disappearance.

Contrary to popular belief their function was not to assist in pulling
harder.
I can remember trying one and found that it was of no help at all, in
fact the opposite!
When shoes had leather soles and heals, sometimes with metal studs, they
could be very slippery on wood and the toe strap helped you stay in one
place when pulling.
I can remember getting up on a box in a new pair of leather shoes some
years ago and shooting off the front of the box the first time I had to
cut the bell in at backstroke!

After that I took more care of what I was wearing on my feet for
ringing, although one very hot summers day down at St Buryan for their 6
bell contest I tried to ring the 36 cwt Tenor barefoot on its plain
wooden topped box. As my feet along with the rest of me broke into a
sweat the box turned into a skating rink and backstrokes became lethal
and futile! I think the box was carpeted after that!

With the advent of rubber heals and man-made material soles we gained
more friction and the straps became redundant.

A bit of social history and nothing to do with ringing technique.

Andrew