toe loops

nitramwe edward.w.martin at w2eid0x8fg-3gAwgN9VDxKqnxPdYWRI7wiWAFpnEI-l1UaSwSS3aG5WaiHPCIIzWL1MyKC3ajwYyU278DXcbmuyTHY8.yahoo.invalid
Wed May 9 16:58:22 BST 2012

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, Laura Dickerson <lauradi at ...> wrote:

>    See the top illustration in this facsimile article (originally from
> 1895):
> http://www.digitalhistoryproject.com/2011/08/restoration-of-christ-church-bells.html
>
> How common were the toe straps one can see on the floor?  I guess the
> related question is how common was overpulling :-)
> Thanks for any information.
> Laura Dickerson

Hi Laura
Long ago I rang the 6th to a peal of mixed minor at Evington near Leicester and this bell had a strap fixed to the floor
What I remember of it all was that the front five were relatively light (the 5th was 9 cwt but the 6th was 16 cwt) so the tendancy was for the front 5 to run away at great speed leaving the tenor ringer to keep up if possible
I think I used the strap but can't remember if it helped at all -  it was a very long time ago (circa 1960s)

Eddie