Akenfield, (Charsfield)

Roderic Bickerton rodbic at qLqpDZIOM8S7EYnl16pd59lSrAqL-sYDRPoSsm4AVv21SHo7bVcG8hJi2ziRWabJ0zC4EhocMq0i.yahoo.invalid
Wed Nov 28 10:42:17 GMT 2012

Been playing an audio book(soundings 3198)
"Akenfield" by Ronald Blythe. One chapter, about
1/3 way through is by far the best piece i have
ever come across about ringing, covering roughly
from 1900 to WW2.
marvellously evocative.
Put me to wondering when when Charsfield ceised
to be a ring of 5. they are not in my '68 dove,
and the web page shows a broken bell, very
exposed, at ground level.
Its cirtainly no time recent, possibly before
WW1, so the section in the book is more about
ringers and ringing in the aria.