[Bell Historians] Akenfield, (Charsfield)

Philip Denton ph.denton at ptVx_SATQypkhtUpPiee51zFOPjrCm_tBlfkY6LQ7ajb2d87CrstbPxcXXBXdid3pE7AQM9YjJUAqdDgAsqksiocaQ.yahoo.invalid
Wed Nov 28 22:17:39 GMT 2012

> Put me to wondering when when Charsfield ceised
> to be a ring of 5. they are not in my '68 dove,
> and the web page shows a broken bell, very
> exposed, at ground level.
> Its cirtainly no time recent, possibly before
> WW1, so the section in the book is more about
> ringers and ringing in the aria.

Ranald Clouston wrote a report on the bells at Charsfield dated 3/8/59;
together with his with his other Suffolk bell reports and correspondence,
this is to be found at the Suffolk Record Office at Bury St. Edmunds (there
are some eighty bulky files of papers, kept off-site, so best to ring in
advance if you want to look at any of this.) The report for Charsfield gives
the following information:

1.   (None)   4 cwt         1710                Richard Phelps

2.   1142.0   4? cwt      c1480              Brasyers of Norwich

3.   1000.0   5 cwt         1608                James Edbury

4.   907.0     7 cwt         c1480              Brasyers of Norwich

5.   826.0     9 cwt         c1480              Bury St. Edmunds foundry

Diameters: 25.93, 27.56, 29.75, 33.81, 37.87.

No surviving canons on treble; other bell retained canons.

Tone of treble very poor; other bells quite good.

The (c1600 or earlier) timber frame, positioned diagonally in the tower, was
so decayed that it was only just fit to hold the bells stationary, but
certainly not to swing them. The frame was mounted in such a way that it
would act as a 'battering ram' on the tower if the bells were rung. The
treble was mounted on beams above the other bells, at 45 degrees to the
rest; these beams were connected to the roof structure. The tower roof had
leaked for many years, advancing the frame decay. The fittings too were in a
very bad state. The treble had a large piece missing from its crown. The
back four bells were not in tune, the interval between each being almost a
full tone. The third was very flat, the second extremely sharp.

Ranald Clouston noted later, on 21/9/68, that the treble (apart from the
broken crown part) was on the floor in the church porch, and at great risk
of being stolen. The other four bells were unsafely 'clocked', but were not
at that time cracked.

There is nothing else in the file, and I don't know whether any work has
been done here since.

Philip