[Bell Historians] Akenfield

RJ Johnston, Geographical Sciences R.Johnston at wQzxYmsvg9RzilQA8wKjZT9yY02c4YHfyCoM3Z94KNp4dI0TBnU2SnoVmwjb8fqxOUT64HjAg9tZgtC3AjFZsw.yahoo.invalid
Thu Nov 29 09:32:29 GMT 2012

The tower and ringers Ronnie Blythe knew best was, I think, Wormingford

--On 28 November 2012 20:21 +0000 David Bryant <davidbryant at ci-e1DE9_J6dbpqPGPdckilynz8CpLzIBwdkkwkJfSmCM5eOjQmQa122mI0uaUG0gENXbTaiU9PH53dsnvOUxUI.yahoo.invalid>
wrote:

> I'm sure I've read somewhere that 'Akenfield' is actually a
> composite of several villages in the area so it's probably a nearby
> church – the chapter about 'the tower captain' certainly appears to
> be about a real person – anyone know who?
>
> The book is an excellent social history document. In 2004, a journalist
> named Craig Taylor wrote a book called 'Return to Akenfield' which
> takes the same format as the original and looks at people in the present
> day. The author of the original book, Ronald Blythe, is one of those
> featured.
>
> David

Prof Ron Johnston OBE FBA
School of Geographical Sciences
University of Bristol
Bristol BS8 1SS, UK
+44 (0)117 928 9116
R.Johnston at Z8DPTdLnx-sm74ok-DVOGG-Y6uDTH2yFz07LTsDrafoR42Oeerh-Zj9mgafPtoLIZN_CQvdsdbq6asTuc20k3qADIA.yahoo.invalid
http://www.ggy.bris.ac.uk/staff/staff_johnston.html
http://scholar.google.co.uk/citations?user=QQoOCYsAAAAJ&hl=en