[Bell Historians] Photograph

Nick Bowden nickwbowden at talktalk.net
Tue Dec 3 16:31:37 GMT 2013

From: John Ketteringham
For some reason I am unable to view the photo originally sent to this list.
However members might be interested to know that I took part in an attempt
for a peal of Little Bob Major on the old eight at Southwell.   They were
rung from a gallery with a wire mesh grill and the bellropes came down so
close to the grill that it was easy to catch ones knuckles on it.    I rang
the treble and after well over three hours two ringers fluffed a dodge and
the conductor (Bert Rooke) stood it up.   He insisted on  an extremely high
standard of striking!

There is a photo on the Bellringing Autobiography section of my website
http://johnketteringham.me.uk/autobiography/bellringing.html

John R Ketteringham MBE PhD from Lincoln in Lovely Lincolnshire

It is the same picture, so it is definitely Southwell. I wonder why the
Heritage Images website clamis it as "Interior of a church bell tower,
Oxfordshire, c1860-c1922."
Nick

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional