[Bell Historians] Dove County Listings by Traditional County

John Camp camp at bellringers.org
Sun Dec 29 18:26:32 GMT 2013

At 18:14 on 29 December 2013, Peter Rivet wrote:

> With  due respect to Tim Jackson, it is a myth that English county
> boundaries were unchanged until 1974.

I don't think he said that - just that the existing counties were not
formally abolished in 1974 (though many of them ceased to have the
same boundaries and new ones were created). There have been further
changes since then. The so-called "ceremonial" counties still exist,
in some sense. If the Queen goes to Milton Keynes, she is greeted by
the Lord Lieutenant of Buckinghamshire.

There was a long (and ultimately quite tedious) correspondence on, I
think, change-ringers a while ago about "original" counties in the
West Midlands. (I confess to having been part of the tedium.)
Birmingham was in Warwickshire, but it does not follow that places
which later became part of Birmingham were ever in Warwickshire.

John Camp

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: