[Bell Historians] Henry Kingsford Harris's "Automatic Ringer"

Alan Andrews andrews5040 at ...
Mon Jun 3 00:02:56 BST 2013

Just done a quick search at http://worldwide.espacenet.com and found

Improvements in Apparatus for Working Bells.
Description of GB190824443 (A)
I, HENRY liNq pRI1 IfAnRx5, of Unwell Rectory, Wickford, in the County of Essex,, Clerk in Holy Orders, do hereby declare the nature of this. invention to.,be as follows:-
This invention relates 'especially to working peals of bells but it 'is also applicable to single
The rope' actuating the hammer of each bell is fixed to a wheel, part of which is of less radius than the other part. This wheel is intermittently driven by a continuously revolving friction disc bearing against that part of ita circum- ference which is of larger radius thus lifting the, h.mmer.....When the disc cornea to the end of this part the wheel, is arrested by. a lug or. pin upon it coming against a pneumatic buffer spring stop. When this stop is withdrawn the hammer falls causing the wheel to complete -its,revolution whereupon it again comes into contact with the friction disc and. is driven ~until. it. is arrested by the stop and so on..

>From the full text and drawings it looks like the apparatus is for clocked bells as opposed to swung bells...

He was quite prolific and has several other patents relating to electro mechanical devices in other areas eg advertising!

Cheers, Alan

Sent from my mobile device...