[Bell Historians] Foundry records [was Woburn 1/4s]

Chris Pickford c.j.pickford.t21 at btinternet.com
Mon Nov 4 19:07:15 GMT 2013

The question of access to bellfoundry records and charges for research
is naturally of interest to members of this list. However, as Robert
Lewis and others have already remined us, a) the material belongs to the
companies concerned, b) they may restrict or allow access as they see
fit and c) charging it is not unreasonable for any services provided.
Any access that we may have as ringers and bell historians is a
privilege - and certainly not a right.

It is true that Taylors were at one time highly secretive about the sort
of information that has been made much more freely available in recent
times. This should be clear to all from the amount of material
generously contributed to the Dove NBR database. Now, there is a strong
desire and commitment at Loughborough to open up the historical material
for a broad range of future uses.

Work is in progress to transfer the John Taylor Bellfoundry Museum and
the foundry archives into the ownership of a separate company, Bell
Foundry Collections Ltd (BFCL). This is a "not-for-profit" company,
separate from John Taylor Bellfounders Ltd, and it exists to protect the
heritage material associated with the bellfoundry. BFCL now runs the
Museum and looks after the archives. Since the formation of the Company
in 2012 the Board (of which I am a member) has been working hard to
catalogue the material, improve the care of the collections and develop
a range of access routes.

More information on our plans for the collections and about means of
access will be available shortly when we officially publicise the
formation of BFCL and start promoting our new services. Of course, BFCL
will need to generate income to fund these activities and so there will
be charges.

At present, the charge for answering enquiries for information from the
Taylor archives is £20 for an initial search plus 30p per photocpy or
scan supplied. But bear in mind that time is precious too, and being
largely run by volunteers the Museum will not have the resources to
handle a heavy workload of enquiries.

Chris Pickford
--
Chris Pickford 4 Walmsley Court, High Street, Kinver, DY7 6HG Tel: 01384
878435 or (mobile) 07811 453525 E-mail: c.j.pickford at talk21.com or
(interchangeably) c.j.pickford.t21 at btinternet.com

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional