[Bell Historians] RE: Thorney, Notts

George Dawson george at gadawson.wanadoo.co.uk
Tue Feb 11 14:42:04 GMT 2014

Well done.

From: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com [mailto:bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Chris Pickford
Sent: 11 February 2014 14:11
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Bell Historians] RE: Thorney, Notts

GAD beat me to it (Notts is his turf anyway), but I was just about to
mention that the biography of the architect L.N Cottingham by Janet
Myles (London, Lund Humphries, 1996) has a detailed and illustrated
account of Thorney church (pp.113-6). Cottingham had a special interest
in the Romanesque, and this church is an interesting example of the
neo-Norman style that was briefly fashionable in the 1840s.

These odd-shaped bells were clearly designed to suit the style of
architecture, and their shape may even have been derived from some form
that Cottingham had seen in his travels or noted in his study of
antiquarian publications. As Myles shows, Thorney church affords a great
deal of evidence that Cottingham based his designs on authentic features
from a number of other Romanesque churches.

Chris Pickford
E-mail: c.j.pickford at talk21.com or (interchangeably)
c.j.pickford.t21 at btinternet.com