[Bell Historians] RE: MODERATE -- george at gadawson.wanadoo.co.uk posted to bellhistorians

Anne Willis zen16073 at zen.co.uk
Tue Jan 7 12:16:23 GMT 2014

  _____

From: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com [mailto:bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com]
On Behalf Of George Dawson
Sent: 07 January 2014 11:28
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Bell Historians] RE: MODERATE -- george at gadawson.wanadoo.co.uk
posted to bellhistorians

Matthew Higby & Company Ltd, www.bellhangers.com wrote:

> Richard says:
>> In the case of Holy Trinity, Bradford on Avon, the 7th is
>> listed because it is the heaviest extant bell produced by a
>> 17th century founder, per the published criteria.
>
> Great Bedwyn tenor (which is already listed) is larger and
> heavier than Bradford 7th.

You're right. But that's worrying because the Holy Trinity
entry in their database specifically says it's listed
because it's the "largest bell by this founder still
extant in Somerset."

http://www.churchcare.co.uk/search?q=bradford+on+avon

The Lists were originally produced by HB Walters in the 1920's. In the
1970's & 1990's they were revised & updated by the late Ran Clouston. After
he was 'retired' by the CCC, now CBC, I took over revisions & updating using
the criteria in the Code of Practice, until I too was 'retired'. Since then
the updating process has continued but I do not know who has provided the
impetus to do it. I suspect that it is now being done in areas where active
bell research is taking place. I know the likes of John Greenhough, myself &
others keep submitting suggestions as outsiders. But who on the Committee is
taking any responsibility for this work I do not know.

If you add the words in red above to the Bradford on Avon case then it is
correct. I think that whoever did the Somerset revision was too parochial,
adding JT & G&J rings because they are 'good' in the local context is NOT
looking at the national picture.

Long gone are the days when the Bells Committee had only known bell
historians & field researchers on board.

George

I'm sorry, but how can it be correct?  Bradford on Avon has always been in
Wiltshire, as have Preshute and Westbury ('under the Plain' as a 17th
century write once helpfully described it)

Anne