[Bell Historians] Harrington and Latham Tubes - what are they made from??

'Chris Pickford' c.j.pickford.t21@btinternet.com [bellhistorians] bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Mon Jul 28 11:14:54 BST 2014

An interesting one. Although I’ve heard hushed words, darkly, that they’re not made of bellmetal, and that the founders won’t get caught taking them in part exchange, I’m pretty sure I've never seen an analysis of the metal composition.

There’s certainly nothing in Jennings’s otherwise thorough account of tubular bells – meticulous in detail about the fittings – in his British Bellfittings book. Nor, I think, in DLC’s 2001 article (less sure about the 2008 one cited by RCO).

I've done quite a lot of research on the firm, as they were based in Warwickshire (yes “Warwickshire Bells” is still a very active project alongside the Pevsner revision although the latter takes priority) and so H&L count as Warwickshire founders. Through newspaper reports, particularly, I've established dates for a lot of sets of tubular bells (which are, of course, unmarked and undated). I've also researched the firm, mainly through directories, census returns and advertisements. But I don’t recall seeing anything about the metal of which these artefacts are made

So, it would be interesting to know

Chris Pickford

E-mails (interchangeably – use either)  <mailto:c.j.pickford at talk21.com> c.j.pickford at talk21.com or  <mailto:c.j.pickford.t21 at btinternet.com> c.j.pickford.t21 at btinternet.com