[Bell Historians] Warner Bells

Chris Pickford c.j.pickford.t21 at btinternet.com
Mon Mar 10 13:03:26 GMT 2014

Warners did weigh their bells, but as the foundry records haven't
survived we often don't have "exact" weights. Generally, full weights
for Warner bells are only available from contemporary reports (e.g.
/Bell News/, /Ringing World/ or local papers), where the invoices happen
to survive or if someone happened to record them at the time (e.g. lots
of Warner weights in Deedes & Walters "Essex").

It is sometimes said that Warners weighed their bells with clappers and
fittings. I very much doubt if this is the case, although occasionally
(as at Lancaster RC Cathedral) what seem to have been weights provided
for carriage purposes (i.e. including fittings if that's how bells were
despatched) have been wrongly interpreted as bell weights. Weight by
nett bell metal has been industry standard for quite a while.

The same - no surviving records and therefore no proper weights
available - is the same for many other Victorian founders, of course.

--
Chris Pickford