[Bell Historians] HMS Hood Bell

'Roland Backhurst' backh@globalnet.co.uk [bellhistorians] bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Tue Aug 11 11:07:11 BST 2015

According to Wikipedia there have been three HMS Hoods.

1.       HMS Hood  was a 91-gun second-rate ship of the line, originally
laid down as HMS Edgar, but renamed in 1848 and launched in 1859. She was
used for harbour service from 1872 and was sold in 1888

2.       HMS Hood  was a modified Royal Sovereign-class battleship launched
in 1891 and sunk as a blockship in 1914

3.       HMS Hood  was an Admiral-class battlecruiser launched in 1918 and
sunk in 1941 by the German battleship Bismarck and heavy cruiser Prinz Eugen
in the Battle of the Denmark Strait.

It is a well-known fact that ships bells can be transferred for one ship to
its later namesake and I understand from the TV news that this is the case
with the bell just recovered from the last HMS Hood. The implication of the
bell being transferred is that it would give a casting date of  1891 or
before.

As Butleigh residents we are always interested in the hood family as their
home is at  Butleigh Wootton. Our church, St. Leonard Butleigh, has a Hood
Chapel and there an many memorials,  graves, tombs and church burials of
members of the Hood family both in the church and churchyard.

Roland