[Bell Historians] Irish request

Robert Lewis editor@ringingworld.co.uk [bellhistorians] bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Fri Dec 4 23:21:00 GMT 2015

I have received a request from Ireland and would appreciate any
suggestions please (off list if you prefer).

Anyone with knowledge of this particular founder and his original
hanging arrangements?  It seems a bit eccentric to me to put the
thing back as a static architectural feature ... but it sounds like
he is trying to achieve authenticity of appearance, rather than anything else.

RAL

"I am an Architect with the Office of Public Works in Ireland. I am
currently finalising a renovation project of a mid-19th Century Linen
Mill building in Balbriggan, North County Dublin called Gallens Mill.
The previous owner of the building has very kindly donated to us the
original bell to relocate back into its original position in a stone
bell tower. Further to some on-line research I came across an article
in your magazine (Issue No. 4754, June 7 2002: Dublin founders of
ringing bells) which refer to the foundry in which the bell was cast;
T. Hodges Foundry, on Middle Abbey Street, Dublin. The bell was cast
in 1857, and as such was one of the very last to be cast in that long
defunct foundry.

Unfortunately, due to client concerns, I am unable to allow the bell
to ring, which is very frustrating. I am, however, very eager to
reinstate it in the most appropriate manner as possible, while also
taking into consideration security concerns to ensure that it is not
stolen at some point in the future. I was hoping that you might be
able to direct me towards some further information I require.

Do you know if there is an archive available for me to research data,
such as sectional bell drawings (like the one attached from your
article) or any other pertinent information that may be relevant to
this particular bell from this particular foundry?

Any advice you might have at all for me to assist me replacing this
bell back where it belongs, in the most appropriate manner possible,
would be greatly appreciated."