[Bell Historians] Indexing foundry marks

Richard Smith richard@ex-parrot.com [bellhistorians] bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Thu Nov 26 18:25:02 GMT 2015

Dickon Love dickon at lovesguide.com [bellhistorians] wrote:

> Has anyone done some work on developing an index system
> for foundry stamps and other marks on bells?

If I were developing a system for indexing foundry stamps,
I'd look at how similar problems have been solved in other
disciplines.  The problem of indexing coats of arms is
conceptually very similar.  Arms can be indexed by surname
just as foundry marks can be indexed by founder, but that's
no help if you want to look up an unfamiliar coat of arms or
foundry mark.  A list of arms ordered by design is known as
an "ordinary", and they are arranged in alphabetical order
of the main thing ("principle charge").  Many geometric
patterns have standard names by which they're indexed; other
things are grouped, for example all animals other than birds
get listed as "beasts".  Within the categories, they're
indexed by number, forms of decoration and other items on
the arms.  I'd take a look at one.

RAS

Posted by: Richard Smith <richard at ex-parrot.com>

<*> Your email settings: