[Bell Historians] Indexing foundry marks

'Chris Pickford' c.j.pickford.t21@btinternet.com [bellhistorians] bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Wed Nov 25 22:02:53 GMT 2015

Only just picked this up (am away on holiday)

Agree that a single, consistently numbered, scheme would be worthwhile, and also that the Alex Bayliss groupings might be okay at high level – but a little wary about what goes in it. Bayliss, I think, placed too much reliance on drawings of inconsistent reliability. To be reliable, any new scheme needs to use accurate (and scaled) images of actual marks – rather than drawings. It’s surprising how marks that are said to be “identical” prove to be anything but the same when one looks in detail!

I’ve struggled with how to do this, and haven’t really come up with an approach that I regard as satisfactory. But I’d certainly be happy to take part in a brainstorming session on this or participate in a think tank. It needs a fairly radical approach though – going back to basics rather than expecting to be able to work with what’s already available (or traditionally accepted)

Chris Pickford

4 Walmsley Court

High Street

Kinver