[Bell Historians] women doing history research

lauradi@rcn.com [bellhistorians] bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Sun Oct 11 13:56:39 BST 2015

   Maybe I'm playing into the stereotype here.  I hadn't thought of bell history as industrial history.  My mention of genealogy wasn't a random choice.  I can see that I'm stretching the analogy, but think of the family legacy that can be involved in bell founding - for example, take the Rudhalls of Gloucester - Abraham, then Abraham, then Abel, (then Abel's t hree sons, whose names didn't begin with Ab).  The bells I ring weekly were cast by Abel in 1744.  One of  the first ringers of those bells was teenager Paul Revere, who grew up to be an excellent silversmith and mediocre bell founder.  His sons and grandsons also made bells (among other metal objects).   So from the elder Abraham ( Wikipedia says his first ring was the bells of Oddington in 1684) to Paul Revere's grandsons (the firm sold their last bells in the 1830s, but those seem to have been cast earlier) we have the tale across three centuries  of two families, connected by a profession, separated by an ocean.
Sounds like genealogy to me ;-)

Laura Dickerson