[Bell Historians] Apologies for latest message

La Greenall laalaagrr@googlemail.com [bellhistorians] bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Wed Apr 27 18:50:36 BST 2016

On 27/04/2016 15:57, lauradi at rcn.com [bellhistorians] wrote:
>     I meant to send the query about a clapper to this list.  I didn't
> mean to send one about theme-park England (that was supposed to
> go to the Ringing chat).  I'm really sorry.
> Laura Dickerson
But, to someone from Waltham Abbey, it was quite interesting.

I'm 6' 5" tall and have long hair and wiry beard, and though it hasn't
happened yet, I keep intending to go to the "King Harold Day" festival
held here every October garbed up as a Viking, with "Harold and Will's
grandad" written on a placard or a badge.

Things would certainly have been very different, but both the Peacemaker
and the Bastard were descended from 'Nor(se)men' - and not too many
generations back in either case. Maybe the biggest difference would be
an English language with lots of Scandinavian words in it, rather than
French. And we'd all be living in turf huts.

It is perhaps curious that the blood of Harold's veins does continue to
flow in many of Europe's leading royal houses, but not a drop of Tudor
blood does.

As a token of goodwill to the rest of the list:
In Waltham Abbey church is a Miles Graye II bell (1668), the treble from
of a set of three originally from Pattiswick in Essex. Its now
hammer-rung as a service or sanctus bell, and brings the tower's total
complement of bells up to 14. All three of the Essex churches
shortlisted to become the cathedral of the new diocese of Essex, formed
about a century ago, had rings of twelve installed in anticipation of
the outcome.

I could see both Peacemaker and Bastard as being good names for bells!

Lawrence Greenall
Waltham Abbey Hysterical & Operatic Society
oops - I mean -
Waltham Abbey Historical Society