[Bell Historians] Sound control examples

'Chris Frye' Chris@frye.org.uk [bellhistorians] bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Wed Aug 17 11:29:57 BST 2016

> DrL: "Can anyone name some examples of sound control systems...horizontal trapdoor movements in a floor, rather than..swings open in the vertical direction."

Yes. I am just back from a visit to Victoria, BC. In the Cathedral they have two large (at least 2m square) horizontal sliding doors above the bells. They were "purpose built", except that the purpose was as garage doors! Being Canada, the doors are double skinned, insulated, framed, sealed, electrically operated and (presumably) specified for use in a damp/dusty environment. I was told that the system "works well", but I did not enquire as to specific decibel reductions. I do not recall what arrangements there were to avoid the doors being walked on when closed, but this question would need to be addressed for any adaptation of fittings that are normally installed in a "vertical" position eg Velux windows, roller shutters etc.

Chris Frye.

Posted by: "Chris Frye" <chris at frye.org.uk>

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional