[Bell Historians] John Betjeman and bells

Dickon Love dickon@lovesguide.com [bellhistorians] bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Tue Feb 9 09:53:29 GMT 2016

  SUBJECT: RE: [Bell Historians] John Betjeman and bells

> I have been re-reading John Betjeman's poems. Many ringers are
> familiar with the references to bells and ringing in "Summoned by
> Bells" and in some shorter poems, especially ones with obviously
> ringing-related titles such as "On hearing the full peal of ten bells
> from Christ Church, Swindon, Wilts", "Wantage Bells" and (to give it
> its full title) "Church of England thoughts occasioned by hearing the
> bells of Magdalen Tower from the Botanic Garden, Oxford, on St Mary
> Magdalen's Day". There are many others. I wonder whether these
> references have been collated. Does anyone know?
>
> John Camp

I am forwarding this to Michael Royalton-Kisch (who is on the list
anyway) as he may have a view. The new(ish) ring of 8 at Hampstead were
installed in memory of John Betjeman, and there may have been quite a
bit of collateral put together at that time.

DrL

Posted by: Dickon Love <dickon at lovesguide.com>

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional