[Bell Historians] Dunwich, All Saints

Richard Smith richard@ex-parrot.com [bellhistorians] bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Thu Feb 25 16:32:14 GMT 2016

chester at michaelchester4.orangehome.co.uk [bellhistorians] wrote:

> A picture of Dunwich, All Saints taken a short while
> before the remains fell over the cliff has been posted on
> Facebook today.
>
> I can find reference to the church receiving bells from St
> Peters in the late 17th Century before it fell into the
> sea., so All Saints must have had bells at some point
> after this.

Raven's 'Church Bells of Suffolk' [p.184-5] says that both
St Peter and All Saints had three bells in the Edwardian
inventory of 1553.

Thomas Gardner's 'Historical Account of Dunwich' (1754)
[p.49] says of St Peter's, he says "This Church, by Reason
of the Proximity of the Sea, which daily threaten the
Overthrow thereof, was by Agreement of the Parishioners, in
the Year 1702, divested of the Lead, Timber, Bells, and
other Materials; the Walls only remaining, which tumbled
over the Cliff, as the Waves undermined them."  If they went
to All Saints, he doesn't specifically say so.

Of All Saints, Gardner [p.52] says "The Tower built of Flint
and Free-Stones, with various Decorations, is old but pretty
strong, and indifferently handsome; crowned with a
Battlement, each Angle supporting an Angel, representing
Gabriel, Michael, Raphael and Uriel; whereof one is blown
down, and destroyed.  It is deprived of a Clock, which
formerly it enjoyed, but possesses three Bells, the first or
little Bell cast 1725, the second 1678 and the third 1626."

As the treble post-dates St Peter's destruction, so was
presumably have been cast for All Saints.  And as there were
three in both towers in 1553, there's no particular reason
to assume that the other two bells in All Saints in 1754
were from St Peter's, rather than like-for-like replacements
of the Edwardian bells at All Saints.  Equally, that's not
to say they weren't.

The Dunwich Museum's research notes mention a "several
documents referring to maintenance of All Saints Church
dated 1723", in which "mention is made of three bells in the
steeple the value of which can not be determined until they
are removed, 'but they are very small bells'".  This is
before (and perhaps related to) the new treble of 1725.

Raven [p.184] quotes David David's journal entry for 24 Oct
1839 which says of All Saints, "The steeple appears in
tolerable repaid: I remember a man who had occupied a farm
at Yoxford, and whose name was Parker, being convincted and
transported for stealing, I think, one of the bells and some
of the lead.  This was reported in the Norwich Chronicle of
27 July 1782 [p.3, col.3], "Bury, July 25.  On Saturday last
the Assizes ended for the County of Suffolk at the
Shire-hall, in this town, when [...] Thomas Parker, and
James Easy, for stealing lead off the church of Dunwich,
were left to the opinions of the twelve Judges."  (It has no
great relevance, but I'd be interested to know what that
means.  That the judges were unclear on a point of law?
That the defendants were given leave to appeal?)

Note no mention of a bell being stolen, just the lead; but a
separate incident recorded in the Norwich Mercury of 7 Apr
1787 [c.f. Order & Disorder, vol.1, p.292] tells records the
theft of a bell on separate occasion.  "At Bury assizes
[...] which concluded on Saturday last, ten prisoners
received sentence of death [...] Robert Sharman, for
stealing a bell out of Dunwich church", though the
commentary in O&D implies the death sentence was commuted,
presumably to transportation.  Seemingly in recalling the
events, Davy conflated the theft of a bell by Sharman with
the theft a few years earlire of lead by Parker.

I have no idea whether the bell was recovered and restored
to the tower, nor how long there continued to be be bells in
the tower.  Raven's lack of a mention of bells in 1890
suggests there were none, and that would be hardly be
surprisng; a picture of the church in 1780 suggests it was
already lost its roof by then.  The two instances of theft
in the 1780s were presumably from an increasingly ruined
church, and I imagine no effort would have been made to
replace the lead or bell, even if they had been recovered.

I've always been fascinated by Dunwich!

RAS

Posted by: Richard Smith <richard at ex-parrot.com>

<*> Your email settings: