[Bell Historians] Upper Clacton missing peal

Ted Steele teds.bells@tesco.net [bellhistorians] bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Sun Dec 3 12:26:38 GMT 2017

On 03/12/2017 11:36, 'Dickon Love' dickon at lovesguide.com
[bellhistorians] wrote:
> Ted Steele:
>
> ...enquire whether anyone on this list can
> discover details of the ASCY band that rang a peal of G7 at St. Matthew,
> Upper Clapton, Middx. on 6th October 1873; (Felstead).
>
> enquiries I made some years back with ASCY suggested that the
> records for the relevant date had been lost in the war."
>

> The peal books were not destroyed, and I even recall seeing this peal -
> I think - when I was looking through the peal books a few weeks ago to
> find the first peal in Ireland, which was rung by the ASCY at Waterford
> Cathedral at around this time. Next time I am there, I will look this out.

Thank you Dickon, I am very much obliged. Also to others who assure me
that the records are not lost. I cannot trace the email (possibly on an
old computer somewhere) but my memory is that Chris Ridley, who was
librarian at the time, sent me a scan of the entry for an 1887 peal but
said that some of the earlier records were lost in the war. IIRC the
inference was that particular entries had become illegible due to damage
rather than that the actual books themselves were totally lost.

I shall be most grateful for anything that is available.

I did come across the Waterford peal during my searches of the
newspapers; it took my eye especially since my maternal ancestors came
from there.

Ted

Posted by: Ted Steele <teds.bells at tesco.net>

<*> Your email settings: