[Bell Historians] Re: Submitting historic peals (was The Botley Youths)

Richard Smith richard@ex-parrot.com [bellhistorians] bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Tue Dec 5 19:01:27 GMT 2017

'Andrew Bull' a_m_bull at yahoo.co.uk [bellhistorians] wrote:

> For some reason my post keeps getting removed from my message, so I'll
> resort to top posting!

All three got through fine with the content bottom posted on
the first two.

> There's another issue about tenor weights for historic peals, of which the
> above case is a good example.
>
> Warner's did indeed quote 39-3-10 for their replacement tenor bell at Pier
> Head. However, when it was weighed at Loughborough prior to scrapping, it
> turned the scales at only 36-0-22, so the "official" weight was much
> inflated. Which weight should be used for peals 1911-1952? Dobson quoted
> 41-0-14 for the tenor of the 1814 twelve.

This is something BellBoard ought to have a policy on, but
currently we don't.

My view is that because BellBoard is a database of
performances rather than a database of tower or bells, we
should record the performance as the ringers would have
wished it to have been recorded at the time, so far as we
can tell.  So far as I'm aware, it was widely believed that
the Warner tenor at Pier Head was 39¾ cwt, and I think I
recall seeing peal boards there recording the tenor as that
weight.  I think that means BellBoard should show the tenor
as 39¾ or 39-3-10 or whatever they believed at the time.
Obviously that doesn't mean copying every typo: if there's a
record of Pier Head with a 93 cwt tenor, someone has
doubtless transposed the digits and it should be corrected.

At some point I hope someone will produce a comprehensive
database of historical bells and rings; if and when that
happens, I'd be keen to link BellBoard to it.  It's the job
of that database to record that Warners supplied it at
39-3-10 but when Taylors scrapped it, it was only 36-0-22,
and quite possibly take a view on which is the more accurate
figure.

RAS

Posted by: Richard Smith <richard at ex-parrot.com>

<*> Your email settings: