[Bell Historians] Kingshithe,

Ted Steele teds.bells@tesco.net [bellhistorians] bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Fri Dec 8 12:32:36 GMT 2017

On 07/12/2017 23:53, La Greenall laalaagrr at googlemail.com
[bellhistorians] wrote:
> A worldwide Google on "kingshithe" and "kingshythe" gives only one hit,
> for a company name ideas website. Even "kings hythe/hithe" brings up
> nothing remotely useful.
>
> I also tried looking up Hugh Tritten, his being the most uncommon of the
> names, in the 1871 London census. Nothing

This is interesting and certainly encourages the belief in these as hoax
peals. I have found two further instances, the first of which appears to
be the forerunner of the one first posted to this list and which has the
same band ringing the same bells but was published earlier on Sat. April
25th 1874 so rung on 18th April.

“On Saturday last the society of Botley Youths rang upon the bells of
St. Paul’s, Botley Cross, atrue and complete peal of bob majors,
consisting of 5,008 changes which was brought round in 3hrs 3mins. M
Walton treble, J Peters 2, h Smith 3, G Wright 4, J Kirvell 5, W Turvey
6, F Jones 7, J May tenor. The above peal, conducted by Mr. J May, is
the first peal of bob majors on the bells, Weight of tenor 18cwt."

And this,

Published Sat. December 5th 1874 (so rung 30th Nov 1874)

“On Monday last was rung in the tower of St Peter Royal with Kingshithe,
by eight members of the Kingshithe Society of Campanalogians 5,040
changes of Single Norwich court bob, which was brought round in 3hrs
10mins. The band was stationed in the following order:- J Bricknell
treble, H Tritten 2, W Spencer 3, J Hillier 4, B Cartwright 5, L Webster
6, R Crockford 7, W Atherton tenor. The peal was ably conducted by Mr H
Tritten. Weight of tenor, 20cwt.”

Ted

Posted by: Ted Steele <teds.bells at tesco.net>

<*> Your email settings: