[Bell Historians] RE: The 1st 10-Bell Peal

'Tony Smith' smith_a_p@btinternet.com [bellhistorians] bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Sun Jan 8 16:33:32 GMT 2017

Hi Richard,

I'm sorry I didn't make myself clear.

My previous message was responding to the suggestion that the Trollope
manuscript CD ROM was no longer readable. The scanned images on the CD are
in TIF format and are as readable today as the day they were created.

They could be readily converted to other image formats such as JPEG, or even
embedded in a document format such as PDF. However that would not make the
images searchable. For searching to be possible the images would have to be
OCR'd (PDF supports the overlaying of the images on the OCR'd text, so that
it appears that you are searching the images when you are actually searching
the OCR'd text). OCR has developed to the point that it is fairly reliable
so long as the image is of clean printed text. However I would be surprised
if it could make a good job of OCR'ing Trollope's handwriting. I would be
happy to be proved wrong!

In case it is useful to others I've created a listing of the structure of
the image files on the Trollope CD at
http://www.methods.org.uk/files/trollope.txt .

Can anyone help with my enquiry about the content and availability of the
Wratten CD ROM ?

Many thanks and best wishes for the New Year, Tony
email mailto:smith_a_p at btinternet.com

Posted by: "Tony Smith" <smith_a_p at btinternet.com>

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional