[Bell Historians] Vickers bell for sale.

'Chris Frye' Chris@frye.org.uk [bellhistorians] bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Thu Oct 5 23:58:18 BST 2017

Here is a story from Oban in Scotland.

Apparently, a Vickers bell has been removed from the tower of the Old Parish
Church in Oban (Church of Scotland, sat nav  location: 56.41024, -5.46943).
I saw the bell a few years back and noted its inscription as:  NAYLOR
VICKERS SHEFFIELD 1883 PATENT CAST STEEL 7181 .

I have a cutting from a recent Oban Times with photo (see
https://www.obantimes.co.uk/2017/09/21/a-piece-of-oban-history-for-just-500/
). The text does not appear to be freely available on-line, but it refers to
the team pictured being asked to remove the bell due to its frame being
unsafe. Due to problems setting up support for lifting, they cut it into
quarters, taking two days. The parts of the bell have now been welded back
together, and it is now for sale for £500 on gumtree at:
https://www.gumtree.com/p/outdoor-settings-furniture/church-bell-/1265952023
. Don’t all rush at once!

Chris Frye.