[Bell Historians] bell dedications

'Richard Offen' richard.offen@iinet.net.au [bellhistorians] bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Sat Aug 11 12:10:58 BST 2018

There are several bells in Kent where the patron saint of the church is also
commemorated on one of the bells: Cudham, Betteshanger and Postling
immediately spring to mind.   Conversely, there are many pre-Reformation
bells which we know for certain were cast for a specific church, but carry
an invocation to a saint other than the patron of the church concerned.

Richard

From: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com [mailto:bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com]

Sent: Saturday, 11 August 2018 5:26 PM
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [Bell Historians] bell dedications

Anne's query

.. medieval bells . may not have been cast for the church if they were not
dedicated to the patron saint of that church.

Nobody seems to have commented on this. Not my period - my main interests
are post-Reformation - but I'm doubtful the statement is correct. Many
churches had several bells known by the names of different saints - the
Gabriel bell, the Mary bell, John etc - wholly unconnected with the church
dedication. Besides, I can't think of any towers where all the bells were
dedicated to the same (i.e. patron) saint.

It sounds to me like one of those ideas that seems like a brilliant
revelation at first - but quickly collapses when one starts thinking about
it a bit deeper and looking at evidence. I have those quite frequently, but
usually - not always! - manage to stop myself before promoting a bogus
theory. Hope I haven't this time!

Chris Pickford